Schedule 1 – New permanent visa for New Zealand citizens
As of 1 July 2017, there will be a new visa stream to be managed under the current General Skilled Migration, subclass 189.
The criteria will be open to New Zealand citizens who:
- were usually resident in Australia on or before 19 February 2016 on visa subclass 444; and
- have been usually resident in Australia for a continuous period of at least five years before applying for the visa; and
- have been contributing to Australia by earning a certain level of taxable income, and ; see below note
- meet mandatory health, character and security criteria
The principal applicant must show that they have been contributing to Australia via the payment of income tax, demonstrated through notices of assessment from the Australian Taxation Office for the four full income years immediately before the application, and the taxable income for each income year is at least the level specified which we have detailed below.
The initial amounts for the following financial years will be :
- 2012/13 - $51,000
- 2013/14 - $53,900
- 2014/15 - $53,900
- 2015/16 - $53,900
- 2016/17 - $53,900
Visa application charges
There are going to be 2 instalments of visa application fees and these are:
- First instalment payable at time of visa lodgement
- Base Application charge (main applicant) $ 720
- Each dependant who is at least 18 years of age $ 360
- Each dependant who is less than 18 years of age $180
- Second instalment payable before visa grant
- Base Application charge (main applicant) $ 2880
- Each dependant who is at least 18 years of age $ 1440
- Each dependant who is less than 18 years of age $720
What does this mean for HR Managers ?
If you have staff who are New Zealand citizens and looking at permanent residence, if they meet the above criteria, you (the business) does not need to sponsor them for Australian permanent residence.
Please feel free to send this notice to any staff who currently are New Zealand citizens.