Australia – Skilling Australia Fund (SAF) update
The Act received Royal Assent last week however the Act is not yet in effect.
There has been a provision on the legislation that states that the new fees (contribution charges) and the associated amended Labour Market Testing requirements come into effect from a date fixed by Proclamation or on the day after six months from 22 May 2018.
- The Acts are not in effect yet.
- The Acts may come into effect a separate short legislative notice providing the date of effect.
- If no Proclamation is made by six months after 22 May 2018, the Acts will automatically come into effect on 23 November 2018.
Labour Market Testing Amendment
Also in this Bill is an amendment to the labour market testing requirements and they are as follows: -
- Advertising must not start earlier than 4 months before the nomination is lodged.
- The Minister may determine the language, method, period and duration of such advertising.
- The advertising must be undertaken in a targeted manner so that a significant proportion of suitable qualified and experienced Australians would be likely to be aware of the position and set out the experience and skills required.
- The advertising must be for a duration of at least 4 weeks – please note this important amendment.
A copy of the advertising may be required to accompany the nomination.