Australia – Visa subclass 494 – Employer Sponsored Visa
As some of you may be aware, the new 494 Regional – Employer Sponsored Visa will commence on 16 November 2019. This effectively replaces the Subclass 187 Regional permanent visa.
What is the benefit of this new visa ?
- For employers, the main incentive is that the employee must remain in regional Australia for 3 years before being eligible for permanent residency
- The eligible occupation list is much larger than the 482 occupation list
- The areas classified as “regional” have been updated to include Perth and the Gold Coast once again
Want to know a Fun Fact ?
"Regional Australia" is now anywhere outside of metro Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne.
Download a copy of the eligible occupation list for that visa type, any occupation you see on this list can be sponsored for a 494 Visa in regional Australia.
Some things to know about the 494:
- This is a 5 year provisional visa, however holder will have similar rights to permanent residents and can access government services.
- The Department has promised priority processing of regional visas.
- All applications require Labour Market Testing evidence, unless exempt.
- Visa holders can apply independently for permanent residency after spending 3 years working in regional Australia.
- Applicants must be aged under 45 years of age. However, they can still progress to PR if they turn 45 while holding a 494.
- All applicants require a skills assessment in their nominated occupation to apply for this visa.
- All applicants must have at least 3 years of work experience in related to their nominated occupation.
- All applicants must meet English language (competent), health and character requirements.
If you have any questions on the new 494 Visa, please do not hesitate to contact us.