Temporary Skilled Shortage (TSS) Visa
Visa subclass 482
The 482 visa allows employers to sponsor overseas applicants to Australia. There are three streams and they are: -
- Short Term Stream
- Medium – Long Term Stream
- Labour Agreement Stream
Short Term Stream
This stream is available for sponsorship of 2 years OR 4 years if an International Trade Obligations (ITO) applies.
Details on the ITO are: -
The nominee is an intra-corporate transferee:
from a company based in a World Trade Organization (WTO) Member country or territory; and
is nominated in an 'Executive or Senior Manager occupation'; and
is a citizen of a WTO Member country or territory.
The nominee is a citizen/national of China
the nominee is an intra-corporate transferee from a company based in Singapore and a citizen/national/permanent resident of Singapore
the nominee is an intra-corporate transferee from a company based in Thailand and a citizen/national of Thailand
your business currently operates in Thailand and is seeking to establish a business in Australia, where the nominated occupation is an 'Executive or Senior Manager occupation', and the nominee is a citizen/national of Thailand.
You may be eligible to nominate a worker in the Short-term stream of the TSS visa with a duration of up to three years if the nominee is a citizen/national of Thailand.
Medium Term Stream
This stream is available for sponsorship for 4 years if the occupation is listed on the current occupation list or the Regional Occupation List.
Labour Agreement Stream
This stream is available if the proposed Australian sponsor has entered into an agreed labour agreement with the Australian Government.
There is no age limit for the principal applicant. Any dependent child cannot be older than 23 years.
English Language Requirements
Most principal applicants applying for the 482 will be required to sit and English language test unless exempt. The exemptions are: -
- hold passports for the UK, the USA, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland, OR
- completed 5 years full time study at secondary education or higher education level where the instruction was conducted in English, OR
- nominated in an occupation that requires occupational licensing, registration or membership to perform the occupation and was required to demonstrate proficiency in English, OR
- employed by a company operating an established business overseas and nominated by an SBS sponsor of that company or an associated entity of that company and who is paid at least AUD $96,400 pa
- an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall test score of at least 5.0 with a score of at least 4.5 in each of the four test components
- an Occupational English Test (OET) score of at least ‘B’ in each of the four components
- a Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT) total score of at least 36 with a score of at least 3 for each of the test components of listening and reading, and a score of at least 12 for each of the test components of writing and speaking
- a Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic overall test score of at least 36 with a score of at least 30 in each of the four test components
- a Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) overall test score of at least 154 with a score of at least 147 in each of the four test components.
Skills, qualifications and experience
The principal applicant for the 482 must have at least 2 years relevant work experience in the role before applying for this visa.
If the applicant and their accompanying family members are living in a country where TB is prevalent and the proposed stay in Australia is going to be for more than 6 months then they may be required to undertake a chest x-ray and medical examination.
Further details on the examinations will be provided at time of visa lodgement.
Each person included in eth visa application aged 16 years or over will be required to obtain police clearances from the country where they have lived for 12 months or more in the last 10 years unless an exemption applies.
The exemption applies to sponsors who are accredited. It is possible for the sponsoring company to confirm that the applicant is of good character however if applicable the applicant and each family member must still apply for an Australian Federal Police Clearance.
Labour Market Testing
The nomination of the occupation requires position to be labour market tested unless the applicant is exempt.
There are no exemptions based on the skill level of the nominated occupations. LMT is required for all nominations unless international trade obligations (ITOs) apply – see above.
LMT is required to be completed within the four months prior to lodging a nomination and placed in an acceptable format for a total of 28 days.
It is mandatory provide evidence with the nomination application of the sponsor's efforts to find suitably qualified and experienced Australian citizens or permanent residents to fill the position/similar positions (that is, copy of advertisement(s) and a receipt for any fees).
In addition, Immigration must be satisfied that a suitably qualified and experienced Australian worker is not available to fill the nominated position. The evidence of LMT provided should have had sufficient coverage and duration to test the local labour market in order to demonstrate this.
Evidence which meets the following criteria will generally be considered sufficient:
- the nominated position has been advertised in Australia
- the advertisement was in English and included the following information:
- the title, or a description, of the position
- the name of the approved sponsor or the name of the recruitment agency being used by the sponsor
- the annual earnings for the position (unless the annual earnings will be greater than $96,400.
- at least two advertisements were published:
- on a national recruitment website (for example, jobactive.gov.au) – that is, a prominent or professional recruitment website that publishes advertisements for positions throughout Australia. A general classifieds website or an advertisement solely through a social media notification, such as Twitter or Instagram is not an acceptable method
- in national print media – that is, national newspapers or magazines that are published at least monthly and marketed throughout Australia
- on national radio – that is, radio programmes that are broadcast or syndicated nationally.
- if the sponsor is an accredited sponsor – on the businesses' website.
Changing roles while in Australia
Each visa granted will be subject to condition 8607. This condition relates to working in the position for which the person was nominated.
The principal visa holder must work only in the occupation in relation to which the Subclass 482 visa was granted. If the visa holder is to change occupation, a new nomination and visa application must be lodged. The purpose is to allow skills and experience to be assessed in relation to the new occupation.
Skilling Australia Fund (SAF)
The Nomination Contribution Charge (NTC) is levied to aid in funding the SAF. The charge applicable is dependent upon the annual turnover (in AUD) of the sponsoring company and, for the subclass 482 visa, the length of the visa granted.
|Length of Visa||Sponsoring Company Turnover <$10million||Sponsoring Company Turnover ≥$10million|
|One (1) year||$1,200||$1,800|
|Two (2) years||$2,400||$3,600|
|Three (3) years||$3,600||$5,400|
|Four (4) years||$4,800||$7,200|